For us dental professionals, the scariest part of Halloween is the copious amounts of candy our patients consume! Everyone’s allowed to have a sweet treat or two to celebrate the spooky season, but moderation is always key!
A Healthy Halloween Isn’t A Trick!
Since Halloween is operating a bit differently this year, parents will have more control of how much candy their little pumpkins receive. To avoid scaring your dentist with your family’s post-Halloween smiles, we recommend the following tips:
- If you decide to purchase Halloween candy, try to stay away from anything that’s very sticky, like gummies or taffy. It’s harder for saliva to wash away these treats, which could increase your chances of developing tooth decay.
- Serve your family a healthy Halloween dinner so they don’t fill up on treats when the festivities begin.
- Make sure everyone thoroughly brushes their teeth after having any sugary snacks! Dental plaque loves when sugar is around and it can lead to problems if not washed away. Everyone should brush for at least 2 minutes followed by flossing and mouthwash to release all the food particles.
Local Halloween Events
Even though Halloween has changed this year, the celebrations aren’t cancelled! Luckily for us, Toronto has some great event teams that have put together socially distanced festivities. If you’re looking for something to do, we suggest the following:
- Bubble Ghost Tours in the Distillery District
- Halloween at the Village at Black Creek Pioneer Village
- Boo At The Zoo at the Toronto Zoo
- Brick-or-Treat at LEGOLAND® Discovery Centre Toronto
- Toronto’s Haunted Drive Thru on Cherry Street
Treat Your Smile To A Dental Exam In Toronto!
A good way to avoid a spooky smile this halloween is to complete biannual dental examinations. If it’s time to book your next appointment, the best way to contact us is to email: email@example.com or fill out our contact form on our website. We are currently booking routine appointments for both new and existing patients as well as professional teeth whitening, Invisalign, dental implants and more! We hope our patients have a safe and healthy Halloween. We can’t wait to hear how you spent it!